When faced with a diabetes diagnosis, many people don’t think they can live the way they’d hoped. But the Team Novo Nordisk athletes are people with diabetes who don't let that diagnosis stop them from following their dreams and competing at the top level.
Team Novo Nordisk in action2018 is the sixth season the all-diabetes men’s professional cycling team is racing on the International Cycling Union (UCI) Professional Continental Tour, which takes them all over Europe, USA, the Middle East, and Asia as they race to change diabetes.
Two journeys converge toward one goalIn December 2012, Novo Nordisk and Phil Southerland, co-founder and CEO of Team Novo Nordisk, partnered to create Team Novo Nordisk, based on a shared goal to inspire, educate and empower people around the world affected by diabetes. This unique partnership is the result of two inspirational journeys:
- Phil was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at seven months old in 1982. His mother was told he was unlikely to live past 25. Around the same time, Novo Nordisk – already a pioneer in the treatment of diabetes – marketed its first insulin that was identical to human insulin.
- From an early age, Phil’s effective management of diabetes included riding his bike. At college he motivated friend and fellow cyclist with diabetes, Joe Eldridge, to improve his diabetes control in a similar way. This inspired Phil to spread diabetes awareness to a larger audience, and in 2005 he formed a cycling team that included athletes both with and without diabetes. In 2007, this team went on to win the 3,000-mile tag-team Race Across America.
- In 2005 - the same year as Phil formed the team - Novo Nordisk launched the Changing Diabetes® program, which aims to ensure better outcomes for more patients, by creating more opportunities to live well with diabetes.
- As Phil traveled around the world, he witnessed Novo Nordisk’s interest in supporting the diabetes community. This was an immediate shared goal, as was the desire to empower people with diabetes, and show that living with diabetes shouldn’t stop you from pursuing your dreams.
- Based on these shared goals, Team Novo Nordisk was created in December 2012 and is part of the Changing Diabetes® initiative, Novo Nordisk’s response to the global diabetes challenge.