Are you sitting down? Probably. After all, the average American sits for nearly 8 hours a day.(1)
- Stand in the back. Kids programs at school? Weekly status meeting? Waiting for a ride? Don't even take a seat.
- Set a timer. If you're on a computer all day, have your phone remind you every half-hour or hour to get up and move around. Even if it's just a few minutes of stepping or stretching, your body will thank you.
- Walk through commercials. You don't want to watch them anyway—take the opportunity to straighten up the room, walk around the house, check on the kids or your partner, or fill a glass of water.
- Get mobile on the phone. Walk while you talk, even if it's just around the room.
- Transport yourself. Take the stairs (especially down). If you take a bus, get off a stop early and walk. Park farther away from the shop.